Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games (Update 1)
01 Jul 2021
The countdown for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games and Paralympic games is underway. The Olympic Games are to be held in Tokyo, Japan between 23 July–08 August 2021, and Paralympic Games between 24 August–05 September 2021.
In March 2021, it was announced that overseas spectators would not be allowed entry into Japan for the Olympic and Paralympic games due to the prevailing worldwide COVID-19 pandemic and the emergence of variant strains.
The final version of the Tokyo 2020 Playbooks were published in June 2021. The playbooks outline the responsibilities and rules that must be followed by all Games participants, commencing two weeks prior to travelling to Japan until their departure. Specific health and safety rules and COVID-19 precautionary measures are detailed in the Playbooks.
International travel continues to be severely restricted globally. Like many other countries, the COVID-19 situation in Japan remains challenging as a number of variant strains have emerged globally. Guidelines are subject to change as the COVID-19 situation evolves.
Advice for travellers
International travel remains severely restricted, and guidance can change at short notice. You should follow the latest travel guidance for either Scotland, England, Northern Ireland or Wales, depending on where you live.
In addition, and before booking any travel, you should:
- review the latest FCDO foreign travel guidance to determine if there are any entry or quarantine requirements, or if you need a negative COVID-19 test or to prove their COVID-19 vaccination status for travel to Japan
- review the UK Government's traffic light system guidelines for when you return to the UK
- check your risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) at your destination
- consider any other health issues or vaccination requirements for travel to Japan
- make sure you have valid travel insurance which will cover your trip including any issues caused by COVID-19
Further information on all of the above steps, including additional considerations that you should take before, during and after travel, are detailed in the COVID-19: Health Considerations for Travel page.