Nipah Virus in Bangladesh (Rangpur)
06 Mar 2019
According to media the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) reports Nipah virus has caused of 5 deaths in the northwestern Thakurgoan district of Rangpur Division,Bangladesh. People have been warned to avoid drinking raw date juice, which is considered tob be a source of Nipah virus infection.
Advice to Travellers
Nipah virus infection is very rare and has a restricted distribution. The risk to travellers is considered very low.
Consumption of raw date palm sap is a known risk factor for infection in Bangladesh.
Travellers are advised to:
- Avoid close contact with fruit bats and bat roosts
- Avoid consumption of food/drink potentially contaminated by fruit bats; raw date palm sap should be boiled before being consumed and fruit should be thoroughly washed and peeled.
- Travellers who may be caring for ill relatives potentially infected with Nipah need to be aware of the risks of infection and practice regular hand washing with soap.
- Protective clothing and gloves should be worn when handling sick animals or participating in slaughter.
- Health care workers should follow strict infection control measures for both droplet and contact spread.