Zika Virus Infection in Turks and Caicos
01 Aug 2016
On 28 July 2016, World Health Organisation updated Turks and Caicos n the list of countries or territories with reported confirmed cases of Zika virus (ZIKV) infection.
Advice to Travellers
- Mosquito bite avoidance is strongly recommended.
- Advised to seek travel advice from a healthcare provider at least 6-8 weeks in advance of travel, but particularly important if pregnant or planning pregnancy.
- Strongly advised to obtain adequate travel insurance – pregnant women should check with their travel insurance company that they are covered under the policy.
- Take measures to avoid sexual transmission of ZIKV
Specific recommendations for pregnant women
Until the link between ZIKV and adverse pregnancy outcomes has been fully clarified pregnant women should:
- Consider postponing non-essential travel to the affected areas until after pregnancy.
- On return, early obstetric review is recommended even if well.
- More detailed advice can be found here