Zika Virus Infection in Antigua and Barbuda
01 Aug 2016
On 28 July 2016, the World Health Organisation updated Antigua and Barbuda on the list of countries or territories with reported confirmed cases of Zika virus (ZIKV) infection.
- Mosquito bite avoidance is strongly recommended.
- Advised to seek travel advice from a healthcare provider at least 6-8 weeks in advance of travel, but particularly important if pregnant or planning pregnancy.
- Strongly advised to obtain adequate travel insurance – pregnant women should check with their travel insurance company that they are covered under the policy.
- Take measures to avoid sexual transmission of ZIKV
Specific recommendations for pregnant women
Until the link between ZIKV and adverse pregnancy outcomes has been fully clarified pregnant women should:
- Consider postponing non-essential travel to the affected areas until after pregnancy.
- On return, early obstetric review is recommended even if well.
- More detailed advice can be found here