Links to Useful Websites
World Health Organisation (WHO)
- WHO WHO's primary role is to direct international health within the United Nations' system and to lead partners in global health responses.
UK Official and other NHS sites
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) The FCO has a worldwide network of embassies and consulates, their website includes information about services that are available for UK citizens while they are overseas.
- Information on UK Vaccinations Information on UK National Schedule vaccinations aimed at the public.
- NHS Inform Immunisation in Scotland Online location for information about immunisation and vaccines in Scotland.
- The National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) The national centre providing travel health resources funded by the Department of Health for England.
Other Useful Sites and Specialist Associations
- Altitude.org A High Altitude Resource. This website is written by UK doctors and aims to provide information about high altitude and its effects on the body. It contains several useful interactive altitude calculators and detailed tutorials about altitude sickness and also allows individuals who may have had HAPE to register on a HAPE database.
- Age UK Useful advice for the elderly traveller.
- Australian Venom Research Unit Advice, resources and research on spider, snake and jellyfish envenomation.
- British Airways Medical Service Provides advice on fitness to travel and specific contraindications.
- British Heart Foundation Information for travellers with people with a heart or circulatory condition.
- British Mountaineering Council Provides information to Doctors/Climbers/Trekkers on climbing at altitude.
- Coeliac Travel Advice for travellers with coeliac disease.
- Crohn's and Colitis UK Information for people travelling with Crohn’s Disease or Ulcerative Colitis.
- Diabetes UK Information for travellers with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
- Diving Medicine Scotland Official NHS Scotland point of information for the public and other healthcare professionals on Diving Medicine.
- Himalayan Rescue Association Nepal The Himalayan Rescue Association (HRA) is a voluntary non-profit organization formed in 1973 with an objective to reduce casualties in the Nepal Himalayas, especially keeping in view the increasing number of Nepalese and foreigners who trek up into the remote wilderness.
- International Society of Travel Medicine The ISTM, with more than 4,000 members in 100 countries, is the largest organisation of professionals dedicated to the advancement of the specialty of travel medicine. Members include physicians, nurses and other health professionals from academia, government and the private sector. Services for members include a newsletter, a well established Journal, a conference in alternate years and research awards.
- International Association for the Medical Assistance of Travellers (IAMAT) Lists of clinics for travellers requiring heath services abroad. Various leaflets and a medical directory of participating doctors are available. Membership is free of charge.
- International Travel and Parkinson's Information for travellers with Parkinson's.
- Marie Stopes UK Contraception and Sexual Health Advice for Women Travellers. Includes helplines within collaborating countries.
- Mobility International Mobility International USA (MIUSA) is a disability-led non-profit organisation aiming to rights through international exchange and international development.
- National Asthma Campaign Information for travellers that have severe asthma.
- SOS International A private company offering comprehensive high quality medical services to travellers at many centres around the world.
- Wilderness Medicine Society The mission of the Wilderness Medical Society is to encourage, foster, support, or conduct activities to improve the scientific knowledge of the membership and general public in human health activities in a wilderness environment.
An expert organisation with long and varied experience in health issues related to exploration and travelling to remote areas.
- World Tourism Organisation Provides a wide range of articles and statistics on tourism and links to groups concerned with ecotourism.