A locally-transmitted case of chikungunya has been reported in the Var department of southern France. The case is resident in Var and works in the neighbouring Alpes-Maritimes department.
Chikungunya is transmitted by the Asian tiger mosquito and a small number of cases have been identified in France since 2010.
Advice for Travellers
No vaccine is available against chikungunya. Avoidance of mosquito bites is the only reliable means of prevention. Methods of bite avoidance include:
- Wearing long, loose, lightly coloured clothing to cover up the skin.
- The use of insect repellant containing DEET applied to any exposed skin.
- The use of permethrin, impregnated mosquito nets.
- The use of air conditioning if available and/or mesh screening of windows and doors.
- Eradication of mosquito breeding sites around the home (e.g. open containers, old tyres or flower pots that may collect water).
For further information see Chikungunya Fever.