On the 17 February 2017 a media report advised that a rural health unit in M'lang municipality (north Cotabato) had declared a chikungunya outbreak in Barangay Poblacion A after 50 patients were found to be positive with the disease.
Advice for Travellers
No vaccine is available against Chikungunya. Avoidance of mosquito bites is the only reliable means of prevention. Methods of bite avoidance include:
- Wearing long, loose, lightly coloured clothing to cover up the skin.
- The use of insect repellant containing DEET applied to any exposed skin.
- The use of permethrin, impregnated mosquito nets.
- The use of air conditioning if available and/or mesh screening of windows and doors.
- Eradication of mosquito breeding sites around the home (e.g. open containers, old tyres or flower pots that may collect water).