For the purpose of advising travellers Miami-Dade County has been categorised as a High risk area while the State of Florida is considered Moderate risk.
ZIKV is not being locally transmitted in any other state of America.
Advice to Travellers
- Mosquito bite avoidance is strongly recommended.
- Seek travel advice from your healthcare provider at least 6-8 weeks in advance of travel, but particularly important if you are pregnant or planning pregnancy.
- You are strongly advised to obtain adequate travel insurance – if pregnant, check with your travel insurance company that you are covered under the policy.
- Take measures to avoid sexual transmission of ZIKV
Specific recommendations for pregnant women
Until the link between ZIKV and adverse pregnancy outcomes has been fully clarified pregnant women should:
- Postpone non-essential travel to High risk country/territory/areas.
- Consider postponing non-essential travel to Moderate risk country/territory/areas.
- On return, early obstetric review is recommended even if well.
- For more detailed advice look here