In the past week, 19 new cases of poliomyelitis have been reported in Pakistan. The cases were identified in the following areas:
- Federally Administered Tribal Areas - 6
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province - 9
- Balochistan province - 1 in Quetta district
- Sindh province - 2; 1 in Khigadap district, 1 in Khibinqasim district (previously uninfected)
- Punjab province - 1 in Sheikupura district (previously uninfected)
The total number of poliomyelitis cases in 2014, now stands at 206, this compares with 39 cases for the same time period in 2013.
Advice for Travellers
It is recommended that travellers have a poliomyelitis booster (or course) if not already protected and take precautions with food, water and personal hygiene.