The outbreak of chikungunya virus infection in various Caribbean islands is ongoing; WHO/PAHO has published further epidemiological data.
(Via Pan American Health Organisation - accessed 15/05/14)
- Saint Barthelemy (St Barts), 490 suspected, 135 confirmed/probable cases.
- Saint Martin, 3210 suspected, 793 confirmed/probable cases.
- Sint Maarten, 123 confirmed cases.
- Martinique, 21 820 suspected, 1515 confirmed/probable cases.
- Guadeloupe, 10 600 suspected, 1328 confirmed/probable cases.
- French Guiana, 81 confirmed/probable cases.
- British Virgin Islands, 20 confirmed cases.
- Dominica, 1252 suspected cases, 105 confirmed cases.
- Anguilla, 33 confirmed cases.
- Aruba, one confirmed case.
- St Kitts and Nevis, one confirmed case.
- St Lucia, 5 confirmed cases.
- St Vincent and the Grenadines, 24 suspected cases, 3 confirmed cases.
Advice for Travellers
Avoidance of mosquito bites, particularly during daylight hours, by covering up with clothing, the use of bite avoidance measures such as repellent and bed nets is advised. Elimination of breeding sites around hotel rooms/houses is advised for longer term stays.