The outbreak of chikungunya virus infection in various Caribbean islands is ongoing. The total combined number of confirmed and probable cases now stands at 3366 with a further 21 262 suspected cases.
- Saint Barthelemy (St Barts), 432 suspected, 135 confirmed/probable cases
- Saint Martin, 2840 suspected, 790 confirmed/probable cases
- Sint Maarten, 123 confirmed cases
- Martinique, 11 400 suspected, 1284 confirmed/probable cases
- Guadeloupe, 2737 suspected, 802 confirmed/probable cases
- French Guiana on the northeast coast of South America, 36 confirmed/probable cases.
- British Virgin Islands, 7 cases.
- Dominica, 558 suspected cases, 81 confirmed cases
- Anguilla, 33 confirmed cases
- Aruba, 2 autochthonous cases, one imported case.
- St Kitts and Nevis, one confirmed case.
- St Lucia, one confirmed case.
Advice for Travellers
Avoidance of mosquito bites, particularly during daylight hours, by covering up with clothing, the use of bite avoidance measures such as repellent and bed nets is advised. Elimination of breeding sites around hotel rooms/houses is advised for longer term stays.