On 5 October 2017, public health authorities reported a second outbreak of chikungunya in Italy. An investigation has identified 55 cases in the area of Guardavalle Marina, Calabria during August and September 2017. Blood donations have been suspended in the area.
Advice for Travellers
No vaccine is available against chikungunya. Avoidance of mosquito bites is the only reliable means of prevention. Methods of bite avoidance include:
- Wearing long, loose, lightly coloured clothing to cover up the skin.
- The use of insect repellant containing DEET applied to any exposed skin.
- The use of permethrin, impregnated mosquito nets.
- The use of air conditioning if available and/or mesh screening of windows and doors.
- Eradication of mosquito breeding sites around the home (e.g. open containers, old tyres or flower pots that may collect water).
For further information see Chikungunya Fever.